Ruby 2.0.0-rc2 is released. This will be the last release candidate of Ruby 2.0.0.
Please give it a try, and report any issue if you notice.
SIZE: 10822239 bytes MD5: e92420131bd7994513e0bf09a3e2a19b SHA256: d55f897bb04283c5fa80223d96d990fe8ecb598508dd59443b356cbba1f66145
SIZE: 13616756 bytes MD5: 9d5e6f26db7c8c3ddefc81fdb19bd41a SHA256: 87072ab3e6d393d47f7402682364e4f24efe1c518969795cc01fcdeeb0e646f3
SIZE: 15118480 bytes MD5: 1a2d33f1c50e32ca1532f8dea4790d53 SHA256: c28e9baf3aa00b41b8823c16df436ae143e8a63e43e7a53302f23119e13d0ebf
New features in 2.0.0
- Keyword arguments
- #to_h: Convention for conversion to Hash
- %i: a literal for symbol array
- Updated regexp engine: Onigmo (a fork of Oniguruma)
- Enumerator#size and Range#size were introduced
- DTrace support
- Optimized require performance (especially, on Windows)
- NativeClient support
- Documentation improvement
- Enhanced asynchronous interrupt handling
- Launch-time stack size tuning parameters
- Refinements [experimental]
… and more improvements. See NEWS for details.
Here are some introductory articles by third parties:
- <URL:http://timelessrepo.com/refinements-in-ruby> (Refinements)
- <URL:http://el.jibun.atmarkit.co.jp/rails/2012/11/ruby-20-8256.html> (in Japanese)
- <URL:https://speakerdeck.com/nagachika/rubyist-enumeratorlazy> (Enumerator::Lazy, in Japanese)
(If you volunteer to provide additional articles, we may cite or refer to them in the next release announcement.)
There are three notable incompatibilities we know of:
- The default encoding for ruby scripts is now UTF-8 [#6679]. Some people report that it affects existing programs, such as some benchmark programs becoming very slow [ruby-dev:46547]. The spec may change for the official release.
- iconv was removed, which had already been deprecated when M17N was introduced in ruby 1.9. Use String#encode, etc. instead.
- There is ABI breakage [ruby-core:48984]. We think that normal users can/should just reinstall extension libraries. You should be aware: "DO NOT COPY .so OR .bundle FILES FROM 1.9".
There are some comparatively small incompatibilities. [ruby-core:49119] Please report any other incompatibility you notice.
FYI: We are creating upgrade notes, but some parts are already outdated.
Status of Refinements
2.0.0 will include refinements as an "experimental feature" because we could not agree on its detailed spec. Note that the behavior may change in future versions of Ruby.
I appreciate all who try preview and rc1 release! I'm grateful for all the contributors' hard work to fix many bugs. I'm really thankful to all the people who helped me do this release.
Posted by Yusuke Endoh on 8 Feb 2013